- Let your parents know what route or roads you’ll be walking down.
- Stick to familiar areas.
- Use the buddy system and don’t wander off.
- Older kids without a guardian should carry a form of identification.
- Never go inside someone’s home.
- Walk in a well lit area and try to stay on streets with sidewalks.
- Walk facing traffic, so you can see cars coming.
- Watch for cars turning or backing up.
- Do not dart out between parked vehicles.
When Crossing the Street:
- Cross at corners using traffic signals.
- Make sure to thoroughly look left, right and left again before crossing the street.
- Keep your head up, and make eye contact with the driver to ensure they see you.
- Always walk on the crosswalk, not on the street.